Building Name -: Martyr’s Memorial
Location -: Baghdad, Iraq
Architect -: Saman Kamal (Iraqi)
Sculptor -: Ismail Fatah AL Turk
Year of Established -: 1983
- It is also known as Al-Shaheed Monument
- It is dedicated to the Iraqi soldiers who died in Iraq-Iran war.
- It exists in the centre of an artificial lake.
- The monument consists of a circular platform 190 meters in diameter.
- On the platform sits a 40m tall split turquoise dome, which resembles the domes of the Abbasid era.
- Both part of split dome slide to form a disjoint S -pattern.
- The two halves of the split dome are offset with an eternal flame in the middle.
- Inside one of the dome shells is a circular water pool that cascades its contents to the courtyard below.
- The shells are constructed of a galvanized steel frame with glazed turquoise ceramic tile cladding which was pre-cast in carbon fiber reinforced concrete.
- The interior is oculant, being that under the Iraqi flag, there is an open hole, or oculus, providing light below.
- The rest of site consists of parks, a playground, parking lots, walkways, bridges and the lake.
- A museum, library, cafeteria, lecture hall and exhibition gallery are located in two levels underneath the domes.